2023 A GREAT YEAR FOR BOWLS
The Club had a very enjoyable and successful year. Membership was over 80 bowlers who enjoyed an excellent bowls green all summer. There was a very programme of internal and external matches and competitions.
As well as individual entries to Surrey and North West Surrey competitions we had teams in the Racal Decca Mixed League, NWS Ladies’ League, NWS Mixed League and NWS Men’s League.
We played 20 Club mixed friendly matches; 10 home and 10 away. We won 8 of the home matches and lost just 2 and we won half of the away matches and lost half. For ladies’ matches we won 4, lost 1 and drew 1, scoring 221 shots for and 181 against. The men played 5, and won 2 and lost 3 but the scores were usually quite close. Overall we scored 236 points to our opponents 227.
We were all very proud of Beth Cartledge who, having only played for 3 seasons, gained her County Badge by winning the County Unbadged Singles competition.
We were also delighted that our Chairman Ken Homewood was presented with the prestigious Surrey County Leopard Award. This award is made by the County Association to recognise long and distinguished service by a club member in the service of their Club.
Interested? Take a look around. Click on the tabs below or look at our other pages. If you like what you see and are interested in joining us, or just want more information, please use any of the contacts listed on our Contacts page. Or just click on our membership application form on the join us page. You can also follow us on Facebook.
New to the game? Then go straight to our Introductory Course for details of how to play and how you can learn.
Learn More About Us
Just click on the tabs below…
- 6 good quality outdoor rinks
- Qualified coaches
- Introductory courses for beginners
- All standards of bowling catered for.
- Attractive and well maintained grounds
- Garden with seating area overlooking green
- Quiet, safe and secluded environment
- Club car park
- Monthly Club newsletter
- Social events throughout the year
- Qualified National and County level Umpires and Markers
- Large clubhouse including:
- Well stocked bar and lounge
- Changing rooms with Showers
- Fully equipped kitchen
- A full programme of Friendly matches and League fixtures with neighbouring clubs
- Entry into National, County and District Association competitions
- Internal club competitions
Membership at Ember is open to people of all ages and abilities, although there are some restrictions (mainly for safety reasons). You do not need to be a member to join our Introductory Course.
Annual subscriptions are payable from 1st April each year. There is no entrance fee.
A dual membership of both the Ember Sports Club and the Bowls Club is required. A Full Member subscription for 2023-24 costs £182, First Year Bowlers qualify for a reduced subscription of £143. The Sports Club fee (£98 per annum) is included in the membership rates, however you will be entitled to a discount if you join more than one section (for details of these reduced rates contact Malcolm Baird on 020 8398 4622 or email: email@example.com.
Have a look at our Join Us page for our Application Form which includes details of membership rates for all sections of the Club.
If you have any query relating to membership of the bowls section, please contact the our Secretary, Ann Gregg (firstname.lastname@example.org) or 020 8979 4500.
No “playing-in” standard is required to join us, other than the ability to deliver a bowl without damaging the playing surface.
Within our programme of events you will see that we cater for a wide range of abilities. Whilst 8 of our members have attained their county badge, we also have members who are absolute beginners. The ability of most of our members falls somewhere between these two extremes!
To encourage beginners we hold an Introductory Course towards the end of April into the first half of May. This consists of a “Taster” session followed by four follow-up sessions over the next two weeks. For details of this course please see the Ember’s Introductory Course page. New bowlers who join the Club are encouraged to continue meeting on Thursday evenings for further development. We also run ‘Path To Progress’ sessions giving more advanced tuition and guidance for novice and experienced bowlers.
Otherwise the Club aims to provide an environment where players can improve their standards and progress through playing in matches and competitions to the highest level they can.
The Bowls section run a number of social events ranging from fun days, barbecues, lunches, quizzes, race nights etc. throughout the year. The main events for your diary in 2023 are:
- Sat 11th March: Spring Social evening. Expect games, maybe a bit of Bingo, plus an evening supper
- Wed 22nd March: Pre-Season Ladies Lunch. A chance to catch up for members and former members.
- Fri 14th April: Pre-Season Meeting at the Clubhouse for all members.
- Sat 15th April: Opening Day Roll-Up to celebrate the start of the season
- Sun 7th May: Our Beginner’s Course starts. We hope you will feel welcome.
- Mon 5th June: Ladies vs. Gentlemen match. Not a friendly!
- Tue 27th June: Hosting Surrey Ladies vs. Middlesex Ladies.
- Sat 1st July: Bowls Club Charity Day. Bowls with a difference and a Barbecue
- Sat 19th August: Mixed 2-Wood Triples competition followed by a BBQ
- Sat/Sun 2nd & 3rd Sept: Finals Weekend, a great club occasion.
- Sat 28th Oct: Club AGM.
- November: Our Winter get-together. Theme to be decided. Quiz, Games, Music or whatever you fancy.
Members of the Bowls Section can also take part in and enjoy many other events organised by the Sports Club and by the other sections. Information on forthcoming events is published in the Club’s monthly Newsletter, in the News and Diary section of this website and on the Notice Boards in the clubhouse.
Ember Bowls In The Community
Ember’s Nominated Charity
Each year our Captains choose a charity for us to support throughout the season. For 2023 they have nominated OASIS. Oasis provides vital support to vulnerable families and children in Elmbridge and the surrounding areas. Its efforts are recognised as having a significant impact on the lives of vulnerable families and children in our local community – a beacon of hope and refuge for those in need.
For further information please visit their website at www.oasischarity.co.uk
This year we were able to present a cheque for £1,046 to Oasis Childcare Centre at our Club’s Finals Presentations.
We would like to thank Crossy’s Home & Garden at 26-28 Manor Road North, Hinchley Wood, KT10 0SH for their sponsorship in past years. Although no longer an official sponsor they are still offering a10% discount to all Ember members.
If you support the community the community will support you.
If you would like to support Ember Bowls Club please contact our Club Secretary at email@example.com or 020 8979 4500