The 2024 Season starts on Saturday 13 April
Our bowls green has been very lovingly maintained over the last few months and everything is in place for our new season to start on 13 April.
Last year the Club had a very enjoyable and successful year. Membership was over 80 bowlers who enjoyed an excellent bowls green all summer. There was a varied programme of internal and external matches and competitions.
We greatly welcome new bowlers: complete beginners or people who have played before.
Interested? Take a look around. Click on the tabs below or look at our other pages. If you like what you see and are interested in joining us, or just want more information, please use any of the contacts listed on our Contacts page. Or just click on our membership application form via the Join Ember page. You can also follow us on Facebook.
New to the game? Then go straight to our Introductory Course for details of how to play and how you can learn. Just contact the Club and we will make you very welcome. Our Beginners’ Course starts on Sunday 12 May at 10 am with further sessions on Sunday 19th and also Thursdays 16th and 23rd May at 6pm.
Learn More About Us
Just click on the tabs below…
- 6 good quality outdoor rinks
- Qualified coaches
- Introductory courses for beginners
- All standards of bowling catered for.
- Attractive and well maintained grounds
- Garden with seating area overlooking green
- Quiet, safe and secluded environment
- Club car park
- Monthly Club newsletter
- Social events throughout the year
- Qualified National and County level Umpires and Markers
- Large clubhouse including:
- Well stocked bar and lounge
- Changing rooms with Showers
- Fully equipped kitchen
- A full programme of Friendly matches and League fixtures with neighbouring clubs
- Entry into National, County and District Association competitions
- Internal club competitions
Membership at Ember is open to people of all ages and abilities, although there are some restrictions (mainly for safety reasons). You do not need to be a member to join our Introductory Course.
Annual subscriptions are payable from 1st April each year. There is no entrance fee.
A dual membership of both the Ember Sports Club and the Bowls Club is required. A Full Member subscription for 2024-25 costs £188, First Year Bowlers qualify for a reduced subscription of £148. The Sports Club fee (£98 per annum) is included in the membership rates, however you will be entitled to a discount if you join more than one section (for details of these reduced rates contact Nick Burges on 0132 462358 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Have a look at our Join Us page for our Application Form which includes details of membership rates for all sections of the Club.
If you have any query relating to membership of the bowls section, please contact the our Secretary, Ann Gregg (email@example.com) or 020 8979 4500.
No “playing-in” standard is required to join us, other than the ability to deliver a bowl without damaging the playing surface.
Within our programme of events you will see that we cater for a wide range of abilities. Whilst 8 of our members have attained their county badge, we also have members who are absolute beginners. The ability of most of our members falls somewhere between these two extremes!
To encourage beginners we hold an Introductory Course towards the end of April into the first half of May. This consists of a “Taster” session and four follow-up sessions over the next two weeks. For details of this course please see the Ember’s Introductory Course page. New bowlers who join the Club are encouraged to continue meeting on Thursday evenings for further development. We also run ‘Path To Progress’ sessions giving more advanced tuition and guidance for novice and experienced bowlers.
Otherwise the Club aims to provide an environment where players can improve their standards and progress through playing in matches and competitions to the highest level they can.
The Bowls section run a number of social events ranging from fun days, barbecues, lunches, quizzes, race nights etc. throughout the year. The main events for your diary in 2024 are:
- Sat 17th Feb: Spring Social evening. Expect games, maybe a bit of Bingo, plus an evening supper
- Tue 20th March: Pre-Season Ladies Lunch. A chance to catch up for members and former members.
- Mon 25th-Wed 27th March: Green Preparation Working Party. Setting up and getting excied for the season’s opening
- Fri 12th April: Pre-Season Meeting at the Clubhouse for all members.
- Sat 13th April: Opening Day Roll-Up to celebrate the start of the season
- Sun 12th May: Our Beginner’s Course starts. We hope you will feel welcome.
- Sun 19th May: Club Fun Day. Who knows what might happen?
- Sun 26th May: Bowls England’s Big Bowls Weekend. Open House for those who want to try.
- Mon 3rd June: Ladies vs. Gentlemen match. Not a friendly!
- 15th July: Hosting NWS Past Presidents vs. West Surrey BA
- Sun 4th August: Bowls Club Charity Day. Bowls with a difference and a BBQ
- Sat 17th August: Mixed 2-Wood Triples competition followed by a BBQ
- Sun 25th August: Hosting the North West Surrey BA Finals. A meet-up for bowlers across the area.
- Sat/Sun 7th & 8th Sept: Ember BC’s Finals Weekend. A great club occasion.
- Sat 26th October: Club AGM.
- November: Our Winter get-together. Theme to be decided. Quiz, Games, Music or whatever you fancy.
Members of the Bowls Section can also take part in and enjoy many other events organised by the Sports Club and by the other sections. Information on forthcoming events is published in the Club’s monthly Newsletter, in the News and Diary section of this website and on the Notice Boards in the clubhouse.
Ember Bowls In The Community
Ember’s Nominated Charity – The Brigitte Trust
Each year our Captains choose a charity for us to support throughout the season. For 2024 they have nominated THE BRIGITTE TRUST.
The Brigitte Trust offer a free service of emotional support and practical help from trained and supported volunteers. The service is for adults and their carers living in every Surrey borough and facing the challenges of life-limiting conditions including cancer, Motor Neurone Disease and Multiple Sclerosis. Brigitte Trust volunteers provide a listening ear and practical help which is unique and respectful of the needs of the individual and the family. The aim is for our clients to live life fully and as well as possible.
For further information please visit their website at https://www.brigittetrust.org
In 2023 we were able to present a cheque for £1,046 to Oasis Childcare Centre at our Club’s Finals Presentations. We hope to do the same, or better, for the Brigitte Trust in 2024
We would like to thank Crossy’s Home & Garden at 26-28 Manor Road North, Hinchley Wood, KT10 0SH for their sponsorship in past years. Although no longer an official sponsor they are still offering a10% discount to all Ember members.
If you support the community the community will support you.
If you would like to support Ember Bowls Club please contact our Club Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 8979 4500