For the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulation 2018 and UK data protection laws, the controller is EMBER SPORTS CLUB (the “Club”) of Grove Way Esher Surrey KT10 8HL. Any reference to the Club includes a reference to its constituent sections namely Bowls, Croquet, Drama, Tennis and Social.
About this document
How we collect your information
We may collect your personal data in a few limited ways, namely:
- Directly from you, when you fill in an application for membership;
- When you make enquiries on our website;
- When you interact with us during your time as a member in various other ways (for example, where you renew your membership, or engage in any Club or sectional activity);
The types of information we collect
We may collect the following types of personal data about you:
- Contact and communications information, including email address(es), telephone numbers and postal address(es): records of communications and interactions we have had with you;
- Financial information, including Bank details;
- Certain other information (including photographs) which you volunteer when making use of your membership benefits (for example, when participating in any Club or sectional activity or making use of other Club facilities).
- The date of birth of members or prospective members who are under 25 years of age, in order to verify their eligibility for certain Club activities.
We may also collect data about your health or medical conditions, where you have volunteered this, for example so that we can cater for you when you attend a Club or Sectional activity.
How we use personal data
Personal data provided to us will be used for the purposes set out at the time of collection and, where relevant, in accordance with any preferences you express.
More generally, we will use your personal data for the following purposes:
- Administration of your Club membership, including:
- informing you about Club/Sectional activities;
- taking payment of membership fees;
- Fulfilment of orders for goods and services, including court bookings;
- Administration of the Wimbledon ballot (for eligible members);
- Research and statistical analysis about who is participating in Club activities;
- Communication about Club activities that we think may be of interest to you;
- Organising any voluntary Club/Sectional activity in which you have agreed to participate;
- Storing your details on the software platform we use for our Club member management database.
- Operation of the Club’s website
where this is necessary for our legitimate interests (for example in increasing use of the Club’s facilities and participation in its activities generally);
- Promoting the Club and promoting goods and services of third parties (for example, equipment suppliers, operators of coaching courses, and organisers of Club/Sectional events) where we think this will be of interest to you; where this is necessary for our legitimate interests (or the legitimate interests of a third party), and/or where we have your consent, as applicable.
Your marketing preferences
We will always respect your wishes in respect of what type of communications you want to receive from us and how you want to receive them. There are some communications, however, that we need to send you regardless of your marketing preferences in order for us to fulfil our contractual obligations to you as a member of the Club. Examples of these essential service communications are:
- Records of transactions, such as payment receipts or other banking information (as applicable).
- Membership related mailings such as your membership renewal reminder, notices of formal meetings and information about Club closures and holiday opening hours.
You are in control of how we communicate with you. You can update your choices and/or your contact details by contacting our Membership Secretary:
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By post: Membership Secretary, Ember Sports Club, Grove Way, Esher, Surrey KT10 8HL
or by contacting the Secretary of any Section to which you belong.
Sharing your information with others
We do not sell or share your personal data for other organisations to use other than as set out below.
Personal data collected and processed by us may be shared with the following third parties, where necessary:
- The officers and members from time to time of the Club’s Management Committee and of the Committees of each constituent Section of the Club, for the purposes of administering your membership and giving you access to the membership benefits to which you are entitled.
- Our contractors and suppliers, including coaches, any provider of membership management services; the official governing body for any sectional activity; other clubs or organisations in respect of any competitive events in which we may participate; our ticketing agents in respect of theatrical productions we may undertake.
- Ember Club Limited (if you have a legitimate interest in that company) Easyfundraising (if you have registered with that organisation as a supporter of the Club)
How long your information is kept
We keep your personal data only for as long as necessary for each purpose we use it. For most membership data, this means we retain it for so long as you have a valid Club membership and for a period of six years after your last interaction with the Club (for accounting, tax reporting and record-keeping purposes).
Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal data (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal data that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request the deletion of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal data where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object to processing of your personal data where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal data about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it. You can also withdraw your consent, where this is the basis for our processing your data (without affecting the lawfulness of our previous processing based on consent).
- Request the transfer of your personal data to another party.
Please note that the above rights are not absolute, and we may be entitled to refuse requests where exceptions apply.
Contact and complaints
- by email: email@example.com
- by post: The Secretary, Ember Sports Club, Grove Way, Esher, Surrey KT10 8HL.
or by contacting the Secretary of any Section to which you belong.
If you are not satisfied with the way in which we are processing your personal data, you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner. You can find out more about your rights under applicable data protection laws from the Information Commissioner’s Office website: www.ico.org.uk.
28 April 2018